Caring for an older loved one, even though it’s incredibly rewarding, can also include a high level of caregiver stress. The full-time task of meeting a loved one’s needs can rapidly escalate caregiver burnout – a dangerous condition which can lead to the potential for losing patience and experiencing emotional outbursts. This has an impact on not only the caregiver herself, but on her senior loved one as well.
It’s vital to identify if you could be in danger of developing caregiver burnout, and seek help if needed. The self-assessment below can help you determine if you might have crossed the line from caregiver stress to caregiver burnout:
- Do you no longer find enjoyment in favorite activities or hobbies?
- Are you suffering from back pain, headaches, fatigue, and/or feelings of sadness or depression?
- Are you contracting more sicknesses than in the past?
- Is your temper shorter lately, either with your loved ones in private or in public?
- Do you lash out at your elderly loved one when he or she displays challenging behaviors?
- Do you feel more emotional lately? Do you find yourself crying for little or no reason?
- Have you unintentionally gained or lost weight?
- Are you having difficulty falling or staying asleep?
If your answers to these questions raise red flags, it might be time to think about seeking help, for both yourself and your elderly loved one.
At Caregivers By WholeCare, our fully trained and experienced Tennessee caregivers are available to share the load by providing in-home respite care services – whether it’s just a few hours each week, or full-time, 24-hour care, allowing for a much-needed break for family caregivers to take care of their own personal needs, enjoy some downtime to relax and recharge, and to be better equipped to provide the highest quality care for their loved one.
To learn more about our Tennessee home care services, contact Caregivers By WholeCare at (615) 298-9201. Partnering with our professional care team means you’re never alone!