The first day of summer is around the corner, and the hot days are already upon us. It is refreshing to feel the sun’s warmth on our skin and to get outside to enjoy the sunny, summer days but we encourage you to keep a few things in mind in order to enjoy this season safely.
- Dehydration can sneak up quickly if you are not careful. Encourage your loved one to drink water throughout the day to keep hydrated and to limit drinks that could dehydrate you (i.e. coffee, soft drinks).
- Limit exposure to the sun and heat. Consider walking or sitting outside in the early morning hours or evening hours to avoid the direct heat and sun exposure. And, when you are outside sit in the shade.
- Medications and some medical conditions can make you more sensitive to the heat and to sunburn. Consider a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeves in addition to sunblock.
- Check in on your loved one frequently during the summer. They may not know the warning signs for a heat-related illness, and it is important to catch dehydration and overheating early.
- During a heat wave, stay in the air-conditioning and limit the time you are outdoors. Heat can affect you in a matter of minutes, so spend as much time as possible enjoying indoor activities during the heat of the day.
Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy outdoor activities, but it can be dangerous if you do not take a few precautions. Stay cool!