Almost 80 percent of falls in the home occur in the bathroom, and according to the CDC, more than 200,000 seniors are treated in emergency rooms each year for bathroom-related injuries. January is National Bath Safety Month. Check out these tips to prevent bathroom falls and accidents.
• Place a non-slip suction mat at the bottom of the tub or shower.
• Use a latex coated or non-skid bath mat on the outside of the tub.
• Install grab bars on the wall surrounding the toilet, shower and tub and affix bars to the sides of the tub as well for added support when sitting and standing.
• If your loved one has mobility issues, consider investing in a transfer bench with adjustable legs, a tub seat or a shower chair along with a hand-held shower head.
• Use a bath water thermometer or install a water temperature monitor to prevent hot water scalding.
• Keep the bathroom floor clean and free of spills.
• Switch out bathroom door locks with locks that can be unlocked from both sides.
• Keep plugs and electric appliances, such as space heaters, away from water sources.