Life is full of difficult and crucial decisions, from what college to attend, to whether or not to have children. And as we get older, we often find ourselves facing yet another major decision: should I move into an assisted living facility to ensure I have the care needed throughout my years of aging? Or is in-home care the right choice for me?
It’s vital to weigh the pros and cons of these big decisions, and the Nashville senior care experts at Caregivers by WholeCare are here to help seniors and their families better understand both options, in order to make informed decisions that will meet their unique needs.
For those who are just starting to research care options, answering the following questions can help you decide whether assisted living or in-home care is the best option for your situation:
- Is cost an issue? The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has estimated the average costs for various senior living arrangements as follows:
- For a semi-private room in a nursing home: $205/day ($6,235/month)
- For a private room in a nursing home: $229/day ($6,965/month)
- For an assisted living facility: $3,293/month
- In-home care services: $23 – $25/hour
- Are you concerned about safety? Elderly individuals who have chronic health conditions, need help with daily living activities like personal care, meal preparation, medication management, etc., or those who struggle with cognitive abilities such as with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will need a higher level of assistance.
- Is the senior isolated? Lonely, isolated seniors are at a heightened risk for serious conditions, like depression.
- Is the senior unable to drive? When it’s no longer safe for an older person to drive, alternate transportation options need to be explored to enable the senior to keep up with appointments and social activities.
- Is help needed with home maintenance? Keeping up with yard work, home repairs, and even regular housework can become difficult for seniors as they age.
Oftentimes, these issues lead families to the conclusion that a move to an assisted living facility is the only answer. However, in many instances, all of these issues and more can be resolved with the help of a professional in-home caregiver – allowing seniors to stay safe in their homes, where they’re most comfortable and giving family members peace of mind knowing their loved ones are safe and well cared for.
At Caregivers by WholeCare, we begin with a free in-home assessment to determine each senior’s individual care needs, and work closely with family members to create a personalized care plan to ensure that those needs are met.
Before making a major change in your senior loved one’s life, contact Caregivers by WholeCare at (615) 298-9201 to discover how we can help make aging in place at home a possibility for you or your senior loved one with our compassionate Nashville area in-home care services.